Sometimes, no matter what you try, nothing seems to work to find clients and you feel like you’re going to give up or breakdown. First, know that you are not alone. Lots of business owners experience this and believe it or not, I still go through this. I’m a human being and it happens to me too when things just don’t go my way.
This is what I do when I get to the point when I’m really frustrated and wondering what the heck is going on. Try following these steps to break out of that mindset and get moving again.
1. Focus on Your Faith. You’ve got to have courage to stay the course because remember, it’s not about doing what’s convenient, but doing whatever it takes.
One way I focus on faith is by reading books like, Ask and It Is Given by Esther Hicks or God Works through Faith by Robert A. Russell. These types of books will inspire you, especially if you’re a spiritual person like me. You can find videos on YouTube for this same purpose.
2. Get Really Pragmatic. When you are in fear, it’s really easy to spiral down into a dark mood. I know because I have experienced this more times than you can imagine. No matter what level you are at, the beginning, the middle or the top of your game, there’s always something that can rattle you. So you want to try some practical methods to shift your situation.
• Use a Mantra or Affirmation. Here’s the mantra I use, which is a sentence that helps me to refocus on the possibilities and regain my positive outlook:
“I am positively expecting great results no matter what I see in front of me. The Universe is rearranging itself for my best interest right now.”
This is about knowing you can find clients and they are coming to you now. Then print this out and post it in several places so you see it often. Put a couple in your office, on your bathroom mirror, your refrigerator, near your bed so you’ll see it when you wake up, etc.
• Distract Yourself with Laughter. The next thing I do is try to come out of that fearful place by watching something that I know will make me laugh. It could be Ellen DeGeneres, the Cosby show, or Comedy Central. Find something to make you laugh which will lift your spirits and break that downward spiral. I also read People Magazine because it’s light and fun or play with my children. And these ideas also help you focus on the present moment rather than continue to worry about the future.
• Get into Action. Take the most likely steps that are right in front of you. Sometimes this means acting on opportunities that are right in front of you that you haven’t said yes to so far. Or you might tweak what you are already doing in order to get different results.
Your Client Attraction Assignment:
If you are in the panic place, try any of the tips above to help you move into a more positive place and find clients. Remember, getting a part time job can sometimes tide you over until your business starts to take off and support you.