Why marketing foundation is the key for developing a strong business? Because you are in business to serve your clients, provide solutions, and solve their problems. Therefore, it is important for coaches, consultants, and other service professionals to identify their target market and their most urgent needs, develop a niche, and create a compelling message for their market.
However, it is sometimes challenging for the service professionals to clearly define the needs of their target market. In addition, what coaches or consultants sometimes identify as the urgent needs of their market, are not actually the most urgent need of their market. Therefore, they end up defining their niche and servicing their clients based on what they perceive are the needs of their market, instead of what their target market really wants.
So, the following 5 pillars are important for developing a strong marketing foundation:
1. Identifying a target market: The most important task for service professionals is to narrowly define the target market they are serving. Coaches and consultants must know and understand everything about their target market. The more they understand their clients, the more effective they are in attracting their ideal clients and servicing their clients’ needs.
2. Understanding the compelling needs of the target market: Service professionals are in business to solve their clients’ problems. You must fully understand your clients, and their needs. The only way your clients are willing to pay you is when they believe that you have something that they must have. They buy products and services only when they trust that you know and understand them, and can solve their problems.
3. Defining a Niche: A niche is the specific service that coaches and consultant offer to their target market. A niche must address and solve clients’ needs. For service professionals, their niche is directly related to their skills and shows their expertise. The purpose of a niche is to focus the resources of service professionals. Defining a niche also helps coaches and consultants to focus more on their clients and determine their needs and want. In addition, defining a niche helps service professionals to show their clients that they understand their clients well, and that in turn allows them to connect and to establish a deeper relationship with their clients.
4. Defining a Message: Creating a clear message helps coaches and consultants to express their understanding and their ability to satisfy their clients’ needs. It also helps service professionals to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Most potential clients are busy; therefore, it is the service professional’s responsibility to clearly communicate what they do, demonstrate their understanding of the client’s needs, and show the value and solutions of the products and services that they are offering.
5. Marketing Strategies and tactics: Finally, service professionals must create awareness and educate their target market about their services, and how they can solve their clients’ problems. Coaches and consultants want to connect and create a relationship with their potential clients. People will only buy from those they know and trust! Therefore, service professionals must define strategies that will help them reach their goals. Then, they can create a set of marketing tactics that are aligned with their strengths to help them to achieve their marketing goals.
So, do you have a solid marketing foundation?