There are six gateway skills coaches use that, when leveraged to reach a viable target market, magnetically attract clients. They are:
- Referral Building
- Alliance Partnerships
I call them “gateway” skills because they open doors to the right kinds of opportunities and ideal coaching clients.
Few coaches will master all of these, but it’s wise to work toward competence in at least two. You’ll naturally gravitate toward one gateway skill and make it your default approach to build awareness about your coaching services.
If you’re a type A mover and shaker, networking, referral building and alliance partnerships will be your mainstays. If you fit the teacher archetype, writing, speaking and training are your best gateway skills. These are my old reliable favorites.
If it’s well leveraged, a gateway skill can go beyond visibility building to sustainably filling your coaching business for all your tomorrows.
One coach I know maintains a full practice entirely through referral building. She’s so adept at helping her clients get more of what they want and less of what they don’t, that they are motivated to be her sales force!
Another coach’s business is full to overflowing simply by writing relevant blog posts every week and re-purposing those articles into high profile publications for her market.
Of course, to move beyond 1:1 coaching and get off the money for time treadmill, you’ll want to broaden your skills.
Leverage Your Top Gateway Skill
Writing is the most leverage-able of the six skills, because authoritative writing on topics that are relevant to your market’s goals and challenges will create instant credibility, and prospects will begin to follow you. And writing ability also supports speaking and training — two other credibility-builders.
But all of the gateway skills have advantages. It’s important that the first skill you leverage is one you truly enjoy. Then, expand into another. Even if you feel you’re not good at one of these skills, be willing to develop the ability. You’ll be amazed how it enriches your life, grows your confidence, and brings you the clients and income you want.
Which gateway skill is your primary connection to ideal clients? How do you know if you have fully leveraged that skill?
- You’re continually attracting new leads through only a few hours effort each week.
- The clients you attract are ideal — they are in your target market, easily pay your full fees, are enjoyable, and stay with you an average of 9 months or more.
- You have an automated “drip marketing system” — a process of building a list and developing the “know, like and trust factor” with leads who eventually become raving fans. That 10 – 20% of your leads buy everything you sell.
If you’re not getting these results yet, review this checklist to see what’s missing:
- Are you focusing your marketing on one viable coaching market?
- Do you have marketing practices that get you in front of at least 100 people in your market each month? Are you regularly “grabbing the low hanging fruit” and inviting people in your market to hire you?
- Do you have ways to drive traffic to your website, and a valuable freebie to entice visitors to subscribe to your blog or ezine, so you can stay in touch with them?
- Are you working toward creating a funnel of relevant products and services for your market — freebies, low cost ebooks or CDs, 1:1 coaching, and high priced coaching programs?
- Are you working toward setting up the infrastructure — blog or website, shopping cart, email campaign service — to create your “drip marketing system”?
If you don’t have all this together now, don’t let it overwhelm you! Start with one thing, one step, then move on. If you continually take the highest payoff actions, you’ll get these things in place. That’s the way all successful coaches have done it before you.
Leverage your default gateway skill to the best of your ability, and get expert support to help you put these moving parts in place for a powerful coaching client attraction system.