While I’m not a professional speaking expert, when clients ask me how to improve their chances for being selected to speak by decision makers, I share what I have done. Speaking is a great way to get more clients and gain exposure for what you do.
Here’s what has worked for me:
1. Give Decision Makers What They Want. The most important piece is to provide what the decision makers are looking for. Fill out their forms completely for a “call for speakers”. If you get a chance to talk to someone, ask for specifics about the presenter they are seeking. This is how you can give the people in power the most pertinent information about you and your topics and why you are a great fit for their purposes.
2. Create a “Speaker One-Sheet” for yourself. This is like your speaking brochure but there is typical format that speakers often use. You can look this up online. Your one-sheet is where you sell yourself and your speaking topics. Make sure you write this from the perspective of the person hiring you. Think about why what you do is ideal for them and how you suit their purposes.
When I started out, my speaker sheet was homemade and it did sort of look it. Later I had the one-sheet professionally done so I could compete with and stand out among top speaking professionals.
3. Use Catchy Titles for Your Signature Talks. You need to grab the attention of the person doing the booking. They’ll want to see the types of talks you do to get a feeling for who you are and if their audience will appreciate what you have to say.
4. Video a Couple of Your Talks. Video helps the decision maker see how you are on stage and if you’ll be a good fit for their audience. Video conveys so much more than words on a one-sheet ever can. They can see the video link on your one-sheet and then watch how you present. The last thing a decision maker wants is to have a boring speaker at their event, so this is your chance to shine.
5. Learn from Professional Speakers. Attend a local chapter of the Nationals Speakers Association (NSA) to learn more about how the professionals do things. Talk to the members and ask questions. This is a great place to network because other speakers will share resources on how to get booked. Landing more speaking gigs means you’ll get more clients.
Your Client Attraction Assignment
Speaking is one of the most powerful ways to get more clients. When people hear you present, they get a first-hand taste of what you have to offer and get to know you a little. This breaks down the barriers and warms prospects up to the idea of working with you. Take a professional approach to land more speaking to get more clients and make more money.