Congratulations! You’ve sent out your first warm letter to the people in your network of contacts. That is a huge step to undertake for generating leads, so feel proud of yourself. But what do you do next if you don’t hear back from any of the recipients?
1. You might not hear anything at first. Understand that it’s not unusual to not hear anything after your first warm letter. People are busy and get distracted by their own life. Keep in mind that you are planting seeds for generating leads. Even if nothing happens from the first round, your letter has informed your network of contacts what you do and what you are looking for in terms of new clients. Know that it can take time to get results.
2. The Warm Letter is part of a campaign. This isn’t about sending one letter for generating leads. You are creating a campaign to stay on the radar screen of your network and continue building relationships.
Not hearing from any recipients is not a reason to stop. In fact, it’s a reason to think of what your next letter will focus on! Come up with the content of your next letter. Then if you have time, plan out enough for six months to get ahead of the game.
3. Follow up with a phone call. Feel free to contact the people on your warm letter list by phone. Checking in with a personal call can help with generating leads as you stimulate your contact’s mind by talking about what you do and the clients you seek.
4. Set up coffee meetings. You can even set up coffee meetings, to deepen the relationships with people on your list. Buying a contact coffee, breakfast or lunch gives you ample time to talk, not only about what you are looking for, but even more importantly–how you can be of service to them.
5. Send out smaller batches of letters. Over time, I started sending out batches of letters rather than sending to my entire list. I found this to be more effective since follow up was so much easier. This eliminated the sense of overwhelm that came from having too many people to call.
Your Client Attraction Assignment:
If you haven’t yet come up with a monthly calendar of warm letter topics, make time this week to do so. With patience, consistency, and good follow up, your warm letters will work wonders, generating leads for your business.